Friday, January 8, 2016

Quilts

I love to quilt. I have worked on a total of 24 quilts.
Some of those I've made and on all but one I have hand-quilted or top stitched.
Hand-quilting is my specialty and also a side business.
 

I hand quilted this one for my Grandma Audrey. She made the quilt for her brother, Kenny, who lives in Iowa. Grandma has since passed away and I'm glad I was able to complete a quilt for her.
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

This is a close up of how I quilt. I use a hoop and do each stitch individually. Most hand-quilters rock the needle up and down through the fabric then pull a set of 6 or so stitches through. I do each stitch individually and then pull the 6 stitches through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

I made this burgandy, green, and black  Amish style quilt for my brother. I used flannel for the backing and so the quilt is quite warm and perfect for a cold winter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

This was my first paid quilt. I hand-quilted it for the owner of a local quilt shop. She got this antique quilt at a garage sale. It's at least 75 years old! She has allowed me the opportunity of putting my business cards in her shop. I have had a few customers over the last 2 years!
 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

I loved quilting this quilt. The owner did a fantastic job, perfectly putting the tiny pieces together.
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

This blue, yellow, and white quilt is the very first quilt I ever made. It took me a long time to complete it and it is the only quilt I had machine quilted, rather than being  hand-quilted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

I made this quilt, start to finish, for Blake. Cream, brown, blue, and red! I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. In the large squares I quilted teddy bears since he loves his so. The bears make it that much more personal. When I made this quilt I lived in a small apartment. I didn't have room to lay out the quilt in the living room, so I moved my kitchen table and used all but a few inches around the room to lay out my quilt! It was a tight fit but it worked well!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

This is our "Wedding Quilt". I made it special for our bed when we got married and completed it shortly after getting married. For a few months I had it on our bed with safety pins holding the 3 layers together. When Joseph realized he was sleeping with safety pins, he told me I had to finish the quilt completely before it could go back on our bed. Talk about motivation!! =D My dad helped me design this quilt, as he has done for a few other quilts. =)
Of all the quilts I've worked on and made, this is my absolute favorite!
The color is a little off in this photo but the colors are dark red, green, and cream.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
 

Another play quilt I made for blake with soft backing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

I purchased fabric in Pennsylvania while we were there sightseeing the Amish in 2007 =)
I didn't have a specific use for it so it sat around my quilting items until 2010. By that time, I was dating Joseph and decided to make him a quilt. I designed this pattern with the amish fabric I'd had. I love the main color being black and plan to make another "black" quilt in the future. I made this a large queen. It's long enough on both sides and foot of the bed to cover a boxspring and long enough to properly cover a pillow at the head of the bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This is another quilt I made for a friend's baby in 2010.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 

This is another quilt from Grandma Audrey which I had the pleasure of quilting for my cousin. I have started a quilt of my own with the same idea of big blocks. Once finished I will try to sell it on Etsy.com.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



I was hired to make this quilt for a friend's baby.
 

She gave me the pattern and fabric and I made it for her. Again I used the soft backing to make it especially warm or comfy enough to lay baby on the floor.
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 

This is another antique quilt I finished for a customer. I love working on these antiques!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

The same customer above had me work on a second quilt for her. I very much enjoyed working on this style of quilt! I'm considering it for a future project as well!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`


This isn't a complete list of my quilts but I don't seem to have photos of every quilt. 
=)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment